What does self-confidence depend on? It has a lot to do with the attitude towards one’s appearance. If you enjoy the reflection in the mirror, problems with self-esteem are unlikely to arise. But what to do with dental diseases that make a Hollywood smile impossible? Porcelain crowns can help!
Benefits of porcelain crowns
Porcelain dental crowns are made of ceramic material in the tooth shape. They are custom-made to match the color and size of the patient’s natural teeth. These crowns are commonly used in restorative dentistry to strengthen and improve the appearance of teeth damaged by decay, fractures, or cosmetic defects.
Porcelain crowns offer several benefits when used to restore and protect teeth:
- Aesthetics. Porcelain crowns closely mimic the look of natural teeth. They are custom-made to match surrounding teeth’ color, shape, and clarity. Usually applied on the front teeth and visible areas of the mouth.
- Durability. Porcelain crowns are durable and can withstand biting and chewing, making them suitable for incisor and posterior teeth. With good care, they can last for many years.
- Biocompatibility. Porcelain is well tolerated by the body and, as a rule, does not cause allergic reactions or gum irritation.
- Conservative restoration. Porcelain crowns are often used for restorative purposes while preserving as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. When installing them, significantly less tissue is removed than when using other types of crowns (for example, metal).
- Teeth preservation. These crowns help strengthen and protect damaged or weak teeth, preventing further decay or fractures. They are often used to restore teeth with large fillings, cracks, or structural damage.
- Resistance to dyes. The material is resistant to staining and discoloration so the patient can maintain the original appearance of the crown for a long time. However, to do this, you will need to maintain impeccable oral hygiene, limit the consumption of colored foods and drinks, and regularly visit the dentist.
- Comfort. Porcelain crowns are comfortable to wear and natural to bite and chew. In addition, they are resistant to temperature changes, which can be helpful for people with hypersensitive teeth.
- Versatility. Such crowns solve various dental problems, from cosmetic improvement to restoration of damaged teeth and support of dental bridges.
- Easy care. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups are sufficient to maintain the appearance and function of crowns.
It is important to note that the porcelain crown benefits can be appreciated with proper preparation, installation, and care. Working with an experienced dentist and following their recommendations for oral care and hygiene is critical to the procedure’s success.
How are porcelain crowns installed?
Porcelain crowns are installed in several stages. First, the dentist needs to prepare the damaged tooth by reshaping it to make room for a crown.
An impression of the treated tooth must then be made using dental putty or a digital scan. It is needed to create a custom crown that matches your natural teeth.
During the structure fabrication in the dental laboratory, a temporary crown is installed on the treated tooth, which reliably protects it. Once the permanent crown is ready, it is placed and checked for proper size and color. If necessary, adjustments are immediately made, and the structure is fixed on the tooth. At the end of the procedure, the crown is polished to achieve a smooth and natural appearance.
Installing porcelain crowns is a modern and effective way to get a Hollywood smile, even if you have dental problems. Consult with a dentist and make your dream come true!